For this assignment, we had the choice between different options such as Landscape, figures, outdoors, still life, etc…
I did a lot of drafts in different medias (pencil, grey pencil, watercolour). Indeed, I did really not know what to do. I used all of kind of paper as I was just drawing different ideas, some modern, some in old style, some in colour, some in black only, before finally choosing to do a nude in pastel….see “drawing 1 – assignment 5 – option 4 – drawing figure” :
I did the one above two times….as I thought it was maybe an idea….
Above : Pure invention
On this assignment, it was asked to work nudes (shape, line and tone)
1. Did I find it easy to approach the figure as a whole or were distracted by détails of the sitter’s dress ?
A : First I look at the whole but when I my drawing is almost done….I look at the details and can spend hours on them !
2. How did I create volume in the folds of fabric?
A : I mainly use dark and light to create volume, to give life
3. Does the finished drawing give a sense of the figure beneath the fabric?
A : It dépends how you draw it….by using lines and play with, again, light and dark, you can give the idea of a body beneath the clothes
4. How would I tackle a drawing like this again?
A : I can tell now that I will first build the structure, the base, put certain lines and will then work ont the details
1. how accurately did I depict the overall proportions of the figure ?
A: In fact I needed to concentrate to depict correctly the figure. Now with my drawing class I can see when something is wrong by taking distance from my work….
2. Did I try to imahgine the sitter’s skeleton and muscles ? Did this help me to convey figure’s structure and form ?
A: Clearly NO! The skeleton is of no importance when I draw a model. I am much more concentrated on the light and dark, the lines and the global form…..
Before drawing my own portrait I need to improve the “portraits”….
This one is the first! I work with charcoal and used dark and light to create volume
…I decided to take painting classes as it’s a bit hard for me to improve myself alone…this are drawings figures….
6. pencils / Linseed oïl and white spirit